We all have goals. Whether they are health related (such as gym goals), career related, personal or otherwise, we all want something more out of life. I am constantly trying to better myself and I am in no way perfect! Here are 8 simple steps that I like to follow to keep me focused on achieving my goals that can be applied to nearly every facet of life. To keep this easy, I’ve allocated my 8 simple steps into 3 main categories. I hope that these help you achieve your goals too!
Gym Goals Through Education
- Take the time to perfect your skills. You have to work out where you want to be and how you are going to get there. Determine your long-term goal, and then make short and mid term goals to get to that stage. Even a little time planning makes a lot of difference.
- Surround yourself with positive people who have a good influence on you. Doing so will elevate you physically mentally and spiritually. Being around negative people will only drag you down, so try to avoid these people if possible.
- Never stop learning. Everyone has to start somewhere and even the people who are the best at what they do start off as complete amateurs. The only way you will progress is by constantly learning new skills or improving at the ones that you already have.
Gym Goals Through Leadership
- Try to be a leader.Whether they are your friends, colleagues, partners, children or clients, there is always someone that will be looking up to you. By providing great examples and being a leader you will “lead by example”.
- Don’t be scared to take risks. You must strive to overcome your fear of failure and take risks in order to achieve your goals. You must dream big! There is no such thing as failure, only experience and lessons to be learnt for next time.
- Carpe Diem. If anyone has seen the movie Dead Poets Society you will know this means “seize the day”. Throw yourself into every activity with 100% of your effort, seize the moment and go for it! Small wins add up to big successes, and wars are won with multiple battles.
Gym Goals Through Focus
- Pay attention to detail. Try your best to do every step correctly, practice with good form, train hard and smart, and eat right every day. Every little step counts and they all add up to make the bigger picture.
- Focus on the path towards the goal. Even the longest journey is made up of many small steps. There’s a saying that goes ‘practice makes perfect’, I like to say ‘practice makes permanent’. You must learn the process correctly through all stages to become highly skilled at something, and if you practice with imperfect technique, you will become perfectly imperfect. Do all the little steps correctly, and you will make it to your big goal.
By coming to train at the gym you are saying to yourself “I want to be a better person”. You are following the steps that you have to take to achieve your goal. Let us all keep pushing on to try to be the best that we can be. Have a great week, and I’ll see you in the gym!